Sunday, January 13, 2008

Lithium



We decided to go for a little winter hike, after a late breakfast at Stables. I hadn't been to Lithia Springs Reservoir in a couple years, so we decided to give that a go. The small reservoir is located at the southern base of Mt. Holyoke in South Hadley. There are a few wide fire-road type paths leading to and around it.

A few years ago, I was able to drive my jeep almost right to the reservoir, but now there are a few gates and 'No Motorized Vehicles' signs posted everywhere. Things must have gotten out of hand the past couple years, as they also put up a 'Park Watch' sign, similar to the 'Neighborhood Watch' signs you see everywhere.



I've never seen that before, as I've also never seen cameras in the woods!



There were two cameras facing each other, and they were just at the entrance (I think). So they weren't too intrusive, I thought.

We marched on.



We saw lots of these tracks all along the trail.







I checked some books when I got home, but I can't identify them. I don't think they're dog prints, if they are, it's one BIG dog. If anyone knows what they could be, let me know (that includes you, Mary Carey and Brian!)

The southern side of the Mt. Holyoke range is mostly hardwoods, with the conifers dominating the northern side. But this particular section of woods abounds with hemlocks and pines. They're everywhere. Everywhere. If it wasn't for the snow on the ground, you'd think it was springtime, with all the green.







We got to the reservoir, where there is a little outcropping for a good look around.





It was quite still and quiet there today. No birds, nothing stirring. The first time I came here it was late summer, the trees had just begun to change, and there was a light fog over the water. I was taken aback with how beautiful it was. And a big part of it's beauty was the peacefulness. The reservoir is kind of set back, almost a mile of walking into the woods.

We'll be back again.


Boombalatty

Part two of the afternoon saw us in Northampton at the R. Michaelson Gallery. I wanted to see for myself what Mr. Spock has been up to with his 'Full Body Project' exhibit. That dirty old man. Just kidding. I got it after the first one or two pictures though. After that, it was a bit much. I found my attention drawn to the window nearby, where the setting sunlight was turning the Holyoke Range pink. That refreshed my abused eyes. We checked out some other (excellent) exhibits, and exited just in time to see the last flashes of color in the sky.



Great day in the valley. Take that, winter.

2 comments:

Mary E.Carey said...

Tony -- Brian thinks the tracks are a big dog's -- "four toes, claws show and it's big." We just checked out the Nimoy exhibit on Thursday night. Brian called it "not very attractive albeit commendable." He's a Philistine.

Tony said...

Thanks to Brian...it must have been quite a dog..!