Sunday, September 21, 2008

Seasons Come, Seasons Go

We took the dog for a walk at the dog park in Northampton, and I kept a lookout for some final scenes of Summer, on it's final day this year...





This trail is usually a win-win-win situation for us. Kelly gets some excersise, I get to scout for blogging pics, and the dog gets to sniff and pee to his heart's content. Trifecta.



Lots of late summer flowers and berries are popping up everywhere.





And the milkweeds are popping their cottony produce. I remember these things from my earliest childhood memories, as they used to grow in a field all along the side of my elementary school playground.



Chicories always add a nice lavendery color to late summer and fall.



A small patch of daisies out in a field caught my attention, because of all the Monarch butterflies fluttering around it. Inching closer and closer, I began to hear a low steady humming. The patch was also loaded with honey bees and a couple bumble bees. Huh; I had heard that the Monarchs were scarce this year, and we all know the honey bees are having a rough time lately. It was surprising to see them both in the same small patch of flowers, in such abundance...





The Monarchs are fueling up for their remarkable journey to Mexico and beyond, the only butterflies to travel that far and back...



Here's a view from the Insect-Cam...



Looking it up later in books and websites, I at first had a hard time identifying this red and black butterfly that landed right across our path. Ironically, it turned out to be the appropriately named 'Question Mark' Butterfly.



A fitting insect to find, on the last day of summer...

No comments: