Thursday, August 23, 2007

Sanctuary

The sun was making an effort to come out late this afternoon as we drove up to Arcadia Wildlife Sanctuary for a little walk. The clouds and cool air are finally starting to pass. A little humidity returning to the air.




We ended up trying to identify the four trees in the center of the parking area, what I believe was a Black Walnut, a Black Locust, a White Ash, and maybe a Mulberry? I could be wrong about that, I'll have to consult some books, or maybe ask someone who looks like they would know next time I'm here. We took a little walk down to the water, where the bats were already out flitting around eating bugs on the wing.



I was standing at this spot next to a tree a couple years ago when a massive beaver emerged from the water not ten feet from me, walked right up to the other side of the tree, maybe five feet away before he noticed me. I could have taken one step and been able to touch him. He was General Sherman huge, the biggest one I'd ever seen. He just stopped still when he saw me. I stood there not moving, wondering if I should step back. Slowly, seemingly unperturbed, he turned his back to me and waddled back into the water. He showed no fear at all. I couldn't say the same.


It was pretty dark as we left the waterside, and by the light of the flashlight, we could see hundreds of ants scampering up a towering 100+ foot Red Oak tree. For what, I don't know, but I suspect they were after the leaves in the canopy high above. They would stop in their tracks when the flashlight shined on them. I snapped this picture, but they're too small to see clearly.

I have a few stories of some cool things I've seen here over the years, I'll post them now and again as I return to this great wildlife sanctuary. Hopefully I'll have more daylight to take some good pictures next time.

No comments: