Thursday, April 17, 2008

Of The Two-Wheeled Variety

Easthampton is having their 'Annual Bike Auction' this Saturday, 10 a.m. might be a good place to find some good wheels cheap, if your looking...



It will be held at their distinguishable Town Hall.



Hopefully I'll be able to get out on my ol' bicycle this Friday or Saturday, both days are supposed to be good ones.

Will gas reach four dollars a gallon?? Sure is looking like it. In Northampton the other night, a couple were sharing a ride on a scooter type bike. Doubling up on a scooter; the ultimate in fuel economizing.



They had no worries about appearing 'wimpy' riding a scooter rather than a motorcycle. The picture above is kind of blurry, but scrawled on the back of her jacket is a patch that reads: "55mph, 90mpg. Who's laughing now?"....A sentiment more and more people will share in the coming months, if not years.

I'm happy to say my little motorcycle can get 45 to 50+ mpg, if I ride it sensibly. 40 to 45 if I don't ride so sensibly, which is rare these days. I've tumbled and scraped along the pavement my share of times, in my 20+ years of riding. It's not as much fun as you'd think. But like me, a lot of riders have to learn the hard way. And some of them, unfortunately, run out of luck. Every year there seems to be a tragedy, especially in the opening days of motorcycle season. No need to get crazy. Just keep your eyes open, and watch out for sand, oil, and old ladies.



Enjoy the ride.

In the flora and fauna worlds; I was down in South Windsor Connecticut today. I could be wrong, but the budding of the trees down there seems to be just a day or so ahead of us up here...



The Lady Bugs are reappearing too. This one only had one dot on it.



According to my sources, the Lady Bugs in our neck of the woods can have anywhere from 0 to 19 spots on them. Looks I found El Numero Uno.

No comments: