Saturday, July 5, 2008

PUFF-E

The weather wasn't too cooperative Saturday afternoon, so we hit the Showcase Cinemas at the Eastfield Mall, for a look at that Pixar movie WALL-E that recently came out...





I enjoyed it. It was...I don't know, a 'cute' movie; the characters were adorable. I wouldn't say it was as good as say, Toy Story or The Incredibles, but it was as well-rendered, and I did get a belly laugh or two out of it. Kelly saw it as a less rewarding experience, though...and the kid? Well, it was free audio-visual stimulation, he'll take it.

After the movie, the rain had stopped. So we rounded up the dog, and took off for a nature experience somewhere. We found ourselves up in Amherst again, headed for Puffer's Pond...



If you drive to a section below the pond, you can see where it flows over this dam, creating a neat little waterfall.



Down below that are these balanced rocks in the middle of the stream. I assume they were put there by the owners of the house adjacent, as they had several at the end of their drive...





We drove around to the other side, and entered through where a section of the Robert Frost Trail meets the road. And oh look! some endearing little scamp saw fit to 'tag' the nature sign...! Those gosh-darn kids nowadays, always marking their 'hoods..!







Besides the Robert Frost Trail, the pond has several other interconnected trails around, one of which winds around the pond itself. Kelly took the dog for a walk up the RFT, while the kid stayed with me, for a cast on the pond. I had the rod and reel in the vehicle, but no tackle box. So I had to make do with just the one lure that I happened to have on the rod at the time. Not that a full tackle box would have mattered. They say there's fish in this pond, (and as you may realize by now I haven't exactly been adept at hauling them in lately), but I'm starting to wonder if anyone's ever actually caught one. I've never, ever, caught one here; and everyone I've seen fishing that I've asked, have never caught one here. But yet, we keep trying...



Oh well. Fishing isn't always just about catching the fish anyway...I had a good conversation with my kid, and we enjoyed the scenery.







This turtle emerged to take a break on a log.



Across the way, a Heron shared the swimming area with people.



Kelly returned from her walk, and immediately began dispensing her usual, nourishing doses of encouragement and guidance on my fishing techniques. I invited her to show me how it's done...



She gave up after a few minutes.

Ok, It's not just me. Maybe it's time to switch to live bait...

2 comments:

oldsguy said...

This reminds me of a story of long ago about this pond. I was only there that one time. A friend from work brought me there to "Do some fishing". He built up the place for weeks before and I couldn"t wait to go. The day finally came and we walked in only to find no pond. It had been drained!! I just went to this guys 50th birthday party a month or so ago. We had to share a funny story about Rick with others in the room. Guess what one I told......!

Tony said...

Ha, good story...well, it looks like they refilled it, but might have forgot to put the fish back in..!