Monday, August 31, 2009

Good Night, August

Kelly works on Monday nights, leaving me on my own to venture out with the baby and dog (no mean feat, single handedly) if I want to make any good use of my after-work hours...



So the past few Monday's the three of us have been exploring various town centers on short, combination dog-walk/night-photo/baby-learnin' expeditions: The canine generally pulling us along and navigating course, while the bloggerette monitors our mileage and travel time via fuel (milk) consumption.



The last night of August found us in Amherst as a burgeoning full moon was just starting to peek into the edge of the sky, but the stars were still visible.



We made our way down a back street near the center of town, and past the police station...



Although the air was cooling rapidly the little girl didn't seem bothered. She absorbed the sounds, motions and lights of the busy town at night. College season is getting ready to start, and the town is beginning to bustle with students again. I threw a couple of socks onto her bare feet, kept her hands warm in mine between picture stops, and we sailed on...

A little further and back out onto Main Street, the constellation Cassiopeia was watching over Emily Dickinson's house...



...and just a little further still, the moon now climbed high enough to take command of the sky and wash out the starlight over the train station.



My first mate then called bingo fuel, and all too soon it was time to round back. The canine set course accordingly. It was a short but gainful voyage to wind out yet another glorious August...

2 comments:

Mary E.Carey said...

Magical photos! So I missed seeing you in Amherst and I was actually in Ludlow on Sunday and remarked to Brian that it is your home base. It reminded me of my hometown Pittsfield.

Tony said...

Hope you guys checked out one of the Portuguese restaurants...

(I really should post more about my home town...)