Saturday, December 13, 2008

Road Ice



I took a spin up to the nether-reaches of the valley Saturday to take a look at the results of Thursday's ice storm, and add to the small flurry of ice storm scenery on the local blogosphere...The temps have stayed below freezing since the storm, allowing the ice to remain freshly clung to the trees as I ran up Route 143, into Chesterfield...







The weight of the heavy ice easily bent the less stout of the trees along the roadside, and in some places the laden branches dangerously leaned on utility lines.





Some of the utility poles had snapped like twigs under all the weight.



On into the beautiful hilltop center of Chesterfield...





...crews were working overtime cutting down dangerous limbs and tottering trees that threatened to damage the town buildings.









Dangerous as an ice storm can be, with the sunlight streaming down it was all a magically beautiful sight. And as widespread as the ice covering was here, from the hilltop center it can be seen that it was actually just the edge of a giant ice field stretching west, out into the Berkshire hills....

6 comments:

Jeffrey Byrnes said...

I love the photos you posted.

Mary E.Carey said...

Wow! Great idea, Tony.

Elizabeth said...

Great pix! Mother nature is amazing in her beauty and power. We only got rain here in Westfield (lots and lots of it), and for that I'm thankful.

Tony said...

Thanks guys...We only got rain in Ludlow too, and as the primary shoveler/plower in my family, I'm also thankful..!

Anonymous said...

Excellent photos! It is so nice to have an extensive log of the event. Chesterfield is my old hometown, so those ice storms are nothing new to me. However, I am so glad I live in the lower valley now, which escaped all that mess.

Tom said...

I love Chesterfield, Jay Libardi's father was from there.