Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Pass It On

Thanks to Jacqueline T Lynch, writer, prolific blogger and darn good regional/cultural historian, for her consideration in passing along to me (and Mark T, Almed), the 'Superior Scribbler award'.



(who'd a thunk?) It's an informal recognition award, apparently begun last year, that is passed along through blogging channels. One of the rules in receiving the award is for the recipient to then pass it on to five other blogs that he/she considers deserving...

Hmm. This places me in a position where I have to narrow down my list of favorite blogs, which at this point numbers about 50 or so (click to expand the blog-roll on the right), all rich in various qualities, to the five blogs that I consider to include the best writing...

Now, I'm no writing critic, and I'm still not exactly sure what a preposition is, or the proper way to use a semi-colon; so I'll have to just name five of the best blog writings that I enjoy and hope that foots the bill...

So let's begin slightly outside the valley, with Walking The Berkshires, a treasure trove of history and conservation postings written with the kind of broad depth of knowledge that can make the past come to life. And I love when the past comes to life.

Next up is Tommy Devine's tried and true Online Journal, previously Baystate Objectivist, recently the Cosmos Report. Whatever he chooses to call it, and whether or not you agree with his libertarian views, he is unquestionably one of the best local political writers around. This is not least because he can explain the workings of complicated government machinations in a no-nonsense manner that anyone can understand, with intimate knowledge of the major local players and current issues thrown in. Oh, and he's a gay, former drug abuser, for added variety...

Then, what I consider something of a sister blog: Mary Carey's About Amherst. While I tramp all over the valley and blithely post fleeting, pithy commentary on what I see, Mary focuses on living in the valley, particularly as a resident from the heart of the liberal factory of Amherst. She's also a veteran journalist, and knows how to swing a semi-colon...

Fourth, someone I wish would post more, is Mike Kirby's Kirby On The Loose. I don't know what it is about his writing, but there's just something old-school cool about it. Being a former city councilor, he mainly posts on Northampton issues, but interesting reading to anybody...

And finally, there's Jim Ingram's Ice Cream Diaries. I have to put this on the list for this reason: While I try to keep 'in the valley' rated PG, and sometimes flirt dangerously in the rated G range, Ice Cream Diaries is the only blog I know of that trumps my "dangs" with well placed "darns", and occasionally reaches into the depths of saccharine goodness with a relish that can sometimes make even this goody-two-shoes nauseous. He exclusively posts about the good things in life, while simultaneously promoting his Easthampton Ice Cream shop.

So that's five. I want to stress that it is only five of my 50 or so favorites. There are others that I want to list here for their writing and/or poetic savvy, but will keep it at the prescribed five. The rest are on the blogroll to the right...Enjoy them!

2 comments:

Mary E.Carey said...

Thanks, Tony! I do consider this a great honor coming from you. I already imagine the day when I'll be saying, "I knew Tony back when..." and I've never even met you ITRW! Thanks for saying I can swing a semicolon; it's what you're really supposed to do with commas that continues to elude me. (Also, your link list is an inspiration to me and you may have noticed I changed my format and it looks suspiciously more like yours.)

Tony said...

A little recognition is always nice, isn't it..?