Monday, December 3, 2007

Chill Before Serving

Doesn't it ever just snow anymore?

It seems for like the past few winters, the precipitation, although not falling as often, has been predominately yucko when it does fall. The muscles in my lower back, the ones that heave the heavy snow, know this. They're sure the past three winters, at least, have been brutal.
Maybe they're just getting old. And cranky.

Why shouldn't they be? Frozen rain, then a layer of wet snow, then a coating of sleet, and top with a little more wet snow. Apply slightly above-freezing temps, until it turns to dirty mush, freeze solid overnight, then add salt. It's a foul recipe, but we all have to take a bite...



What happened to the light fluffy powdery New England magic snow? I know what Al Gore would say, but I don't buy it, yet. At least not from him. I will play along though, if it means hurrying development of alternative fuel sources. Anything to rid us of diesel fumes and Arab nutjobs...


I suppose I should be careful what I wish for. The Farmer's Almanac, that bastion of mystic weather prediction, is calling for a mild but heavily snowy winter. Take it for what it's worth, (about 6 bucks). Hey, at this point, I wouldn't give them any less credence than Gore.

Thankfully, the sun finally arrived, igniting the gray day with some bursts of color...


1 comment:

Mary E.Carey said...

You keep surpassing yourself with your sky and your through-the-windshield photos! I was walking up a hill at UMass when it got sunny -- it was fantastic - and you caught it.