Saturday, February 2, 2008

Fancy Book Learnin'

Kelly had to work, leaving me and the kid to fend for ourselves. I remembered a recent post by T. Devine about the Forbes Library and Calvin Coolidge museum. I'd been wanting to check it out for some time, so I decided to serve us up some 'edumecation' for the afternoon.

These guys greeted us at the Northampton border.



There was an Obama rally over in Amherst this morning; headlined by Governor Patrick on the town green. I debated going and getting some pics, but realized there'd be no lack of blogger coverage in that town....So I slept in.

We made it to the Forbes Library, and dutifuly stuffed some coins in the parking meter across the street.



It's very nice in there, with wood paneling, carpeted steps, and a neat old clock near the entrance. Up on the second floor, there was an art exhibit, with several peices under glass and hanging on the walls.

These were made of recycled and original art:





This is part of a collection of handmade books called Theories of Flight, by local artist Donna Carpenter:



We went over to the Coolidge museum part of the library, only to find the lights off and doors locked. I peered in the window for a bit. Then looking over at a person working nearby, asked her when the museum is open. She gave me a look like 'I dont work here'...paused at my blank stare...and said, "I don't work here".

I suddenly realized she was putting some of the art work away, and it registered in my primate mind that she was one of the artists. I apologized, and shuffled off. Then I realized I could put some of this artwork on the blog, and went over to ask her permission. She was a little wary at first, but said Ok after I introduced myself and made clear I was legit. She was Donna Carpenter, the creator of the above mentioned Theories Of Flight collection.

She was curious as to why I or anyone would have a blog. I thought about it, and replied that it was a bit of an ego trip on my part, a bit of voyerism on the readers' part. I think she accepted that answer. We talked a little about the variety and vibrancy of the local valley blogosphere; The political and citizen journalist type blogs; as well as the "Theater of minutiae" (credit M. Carey) blogs. Suprisingly she wasn't too blog savvy, and hadn't been enriched by the likes of Mary Carey, Tom Devine, Urban Compass, Bill Dusty, Northamponist, Larry Kelly, ect. et al. Maybe she was just playing Devil's advocate. I gave her this web address, and let her get on with her stuff...

Gathering up the kid, who was watching a chess tutorial going on nearby, we made our way down Main St. looking for a snack to tide us over; until Kelly whipped up some dinner later. We passed a girl putting up these posters:



Hmm. Didn't know that. Learn something new every day.

We made our way to Pleasant St. and stopped at Mimmo's Pizza for a couple slices.



Loved the Italiany atmosphere in this tiny restaurant.



There was a table outside, where we scarffed down the HUGE pizza slices.



Satisfied, we mosied over to Pearl St., and checked out this used and rare book store.





Half Moon Books. I picked up an amazing book called 'Main St: Then and Now'. It's all photographs of Springfield's Main street, taken in the 19th and early 20th centuries, then followed by pics from the early eighties. Fascinating stuff. Even the eighties pictures are remarkable, with the big cars, Steigers walkway, Civic Center, ect. It would make Mark T. Alamed drool.






My kid continues to surprise me with his remarkable taste in books. He swings from cheap science fiction and fantasy, to the George Orwell book 'Burmese Days' that he picked up today. (He's already gone through Animal Farm and 1984 - there's still hope for that kid...)


Happy Groundhog Day...!

1 comment:

Mary E.Carey said...

My kid recently read and really liked 1984 too. He also loves Mimmo's pizz, whereas I prefer Pizza Paradiso This is a really nice tribute to the local blogosphere -- thanks! Love those bird books.