Sunday, February 3, 2008

I Should Be Packing Right Now



Beautiful day, for Febuary. Sunny and in the low 40's. We stepped out for one more hike and look around the valley, before we leave tommorrow. Kelly drove, freeing me to click some pics along the way...







I think I'm getting the hang of this camera; adjusting ISO speeds, exposures and other settings. Still have to learn how to tweak the shots with shutter speeds and apertures. But I'm starting to get the pictures the way I want them, most of them anyway. The sunny day helps...



We ended up taking a short walk at Arcadia Wildlife Sanctuary. Not too much wildlife there right now, but plenty of peace and tranquility, just wind through the trees...



Some of the trees live up to there names, like these fine examples of Shagbark Hickory:




This bit of water marks where a vernal pool develops every spring...



We walked up to the lookout, which rises above a now frozen wet-land. It's a great bird watching spot, if you don't mind the unnerving swaying of the structure. You can often see herons, blackbirds, kingfishers, ducks, geese and all other kinds of water-oriented birds in the warmer months from here.



Inside, someone has considerately put up a winter bird chart.



My two associates finally took a breather from their non-stop banter, and succumbed to a spell of silence, as we gazed across the peaceful landscape.



Tommorrow, if all goes well, we'll be looking at pink clouds above an entirely different landscape.

Even though I'm gadget-boy, I still haven't aqquired a laptop computer. So If I can't find an internet cafe or similar ammenities on our trip, I'll have to bite the bullet and wait till I get back to post again. I'm bringing the UBS cord, just in case...

No comments: