Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Gasoline Alley

The drudgery of painting after work continues.

I looked up to see Mother Nature was doing some painting of her own...

I put up my brush in salute.




I was down in the Albany St. area of Springfield today.

Albany street is better known as 'Gasoline Alley'. This is mainly do to the 'tank farms' that line this road.

This road is loaded with parts suppliers, metal recyclers, scrap yards, heavy trucks getting and delivering fuel, dumpster depots. If it's heavy and dirty, you can probably find it here.





Back in my unsettled, tumultuous youth, I worked at this place for about a summer. That was many, many moons ago, when it was 'Marty's Soda'.


I was there a short time, but Marty's formula was eventually sold to Pepsi Co. I recently (today) learned that the owner/ my old boss, now runs it as this place - ready? -"Gasoline Alley".

Gasoline Alley is the third member of a non-profit organization called the "Pathmakers". The other two members are the Zen Peacemakers (another non-profit), and the Hampden County Sherriff's Office.


What they do is "Bring together the collective resources and expertise of three unique organizations with proven track records in addressing the issues of poverty, homelessness and crime".


Gasoline Alley's part in this is "designed to teach inner-city and/or underprivileged persons to be successful entrepreneurs using socially responsible/sustainable business practices while revitalizing inner city neighborhoods".


That was all according to their website: http://www.zenpeacemakers.org/sa/pathmaker_partnership/team.htm


I guess soda can be good for you.

2 comments:

Mary E.Carey said...

Interesting! That upended old car reminds me of a somewhat controversial sculpture that used to be right in the middle of a parking lot in front of a T.J. Maxx in Pittsfield. It was an old boat sticking up out of the ground perpendicularly. Now, I wish someone had a blog like yours or Tommy's in Pittsfield and could tell me a little more about the history of that curious sculpture and the decision to get rid of it. (Maybe the local newspaper has something in its archives.)The paintbrush against the sky was a good idea!

Tony said...

You know something? I think I vaguely remember seeing that boat. Was that like 15 years ago or so? Maybe I'm thinking of something else...